Sunday, March 20, 2011

Texture & Movement

 I've been really inspired by textures lately, finding myself wishing for Jedi-like skills with knitting needles, but alas, I have yet to refine my knitting past plain and purl.

This piece from the Mark Fast A/W 2011 collection is incredible - I think it's very innovative in the way it uses flat knit panels to create a deep and mutable silhouette.  So many things go through my mind when I look at this sweater - clothing as protection (armor), Newton's third law (for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction), how flat pattern drafting results in a 3-dimensional garment...  I think I'm most fascinated with the interaction between the panels and how that influences the surface of the garment.  Obviously with every piece of clothing there is a relationship between the body's movement and the movement of the fabric, but Mark Fast illustrates this relationship in a comprehensive and unique way .  Instead of just having creases form in the crook of a bent elbow as you would experience with a flat material, this garment also shows the resulting expansion of the material along the outer bend of the elbow. 

I'm not really sure why I find this so worthy of recognition; possibly because I think it is a good representation of how interconnected everything (and I mean everything) is; or that it shows how something is more valuable as a whole than the sum of its parts, or it could just remind me of my childhood dreams of having a suit made of corrugated duct like a robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment