Saturday, April 16, 2011

Vancouver Fashion Week


As I implied with my last post, I showed my new F/W '11 collection at Vancouver Fashion Week this April!  The collection is inspired by driftwood and the shapes and movement that it embodies, along with the element of erosion, as that is how driftwood is formed.

I've used a lot of draping and smocking to mimic the smooth, flowing lines that are seen in driftwood; the smocking is meant to appear as root structures and knots.  I rely a lot on juxtaposition in my designs, and what I found interesting about driftwood, was the way water and sand slowly shapes the wood into these smooth, sloping shapes - there is a sense of movement, fluidity given to the rigid wood through the erosion of its surface.  I also thought this erosion process was much like the way people change through each experience of their lives.  With each triumph, downfall, love and heartbreak we learn and reform ourselves and the parts of us that are not authentic are eroded away.

Thanks to Daniel Jolly and Victoria Radbourne for the fantastic photos!


2 comments:

  1. i seriously almost cried when i saw the first picture of you. you belong there Andrea. i am so proud and overwhelmed with emotion.
    miss you
    love you
    always
    xo

    ReplyDelete