Monday, November 15, 2010

Phi= Beauty



In my last couple of posts, and in responding to some comments, I believe I have a) found my visual language; b) narrowed my focus; and c) renamed my collection.

Phi (the Greek letter above) in mathematics is the Golden Ratio.  Several studies have been done to determine what the majority of us find to be "beautiful" and most conclude that the most "beautiful" subjects' proportions relate to each other by the value of (1.618...).  I am also personally of the opinion that beauty is best achieved when there is proportional balance between elements.  In one response to a comment, I said that I was mainly interested in relating finite concepts (such as math and science), to more abstract and infinite concepts (like beauty and love and humor) and I think that might be the way to do that...


I was first thinking that this may be too far off from my original concept of technology being deeply integrated into society, but after some thought, I liken the idea of defining beauty by way of , as somewhat of an ultra lo-mo proof commenting on the level of integration of technology in society.


I'm thinking of garments cut so that all the bottoms use 1.618 time more fabric than the tops in the collection; or any paneling done is proportioned with ratios...

Gotta re-work my inspiration board...!

No comments:

Post a Comment